Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mustard, Please

I am not normally a fast food eating person. I usually save it for when I am running late or I simply am too exhausted from the work day to cook. With only me and a person half my size in the house, it seems we always have leftovers to heat up and have no reason to buy pre-cooked food in a bag. However, when my neighbor, who is currently out of a job, catches me outside to talk about what lack of work is out there (as if I didn’t know), I do not have enough time to eat my normal cereal. Starving on my way to work, I drove into the golden arches of McDonalds. Yes, not ever my first choice for food, but when it’s already the time I’m supposed to be at work and it is the one of the two establishments on the way, it became the choice to start my day.

I selected a sausage egg McMuffin off the menu. Sausage and egg breakfast sandwiches require mustard for me. It brings out the flavors and gives it a whole new experience. I asked for it to be put on the sandwich. Then a man’s voice comes over the lady taking my order and said, “I’ll put packets of it in the bag for you mam.” I believed this was an attempt to keep their pre-made food just that way, because if you change something they have to make a fresh sandwich. So, when I get to the window I ask why I had to have packets. The man said, “We only have dispensable mustard at 10:30AM when we start serving lunch.”

Really? How is McDonalds #1 in their industry and they don’t even offer condiments on your food until a lunch time that no one really eats lunch at? Are our children the only ones keeping the fast food chain alive? I mean all the toys that break immediately are great to them because they offer the latest characters. It doesn’t matter their food does not rot or they don’t have changing stations in all their restaurants despite their “family appeal.” Somehow they are still number one. Well, I think I have been reminded why I do not eat fast food. Maybe next time, I will look for leftovers in my fridge to take to work and heat up instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment